Disclaimer - this blog post is slightly more cocktails than culture.
Barcelona is a fun and vibrant city with beautiful beaches, delicious tapas, never-ending sangria and it's blessed with a good climate. It has a special place in our hearts at Gigi & Olive as it was the place of our first shoot, where lots of our beautiful imagery was taken. This meant a great excuse to do a bit of eating out and bar hoping of our own. The beach and city combination makes this city a perfect Bachelorette Party destination. Think lively nights followed by relaxed rosé drinking on the beach the next day. If you're organising a weekend for a Bride who loves great food, drinking cocktails and strolling on the beach, then start planning your rooftop bar hopping schedule now. Here's a few helpful tips and recommendations of our favourites that are sure to add to a fun-fuelled sangria led weekend.
Where to stay:
- Soho House Barcelona - A beautiful light pink building, off a square, overlooking the harbour, this hotel is a gem to stay at in the centre of Barcelona. With a Cowshed spa, rooftop pool and bar, Cecconi's restaurant and every amenity neatly displayed as you walk into your room, it's the definition of a treat. Rooms start from different prices and sizes, rest assured we have stayed in the 'Tiny' rooms and they're the perfect size for a weekend. With the mirrors framed by spotlights as you get ready, cocktail hour room service and a beautiful rooftop to start your night at, this is an ideal set up.
- The Edition - The Edition Hotel is modern, elegant and perfectly placed with the city's Gothic Quarter. The rooms are chic and sophisticated with marble bathrooms and rainforest showers. Order fantastic cocktails at the impressive bar situated in the lobby or head up to the rooftop to enjoy drinks and tapas (tip - try the crispy yuca with chipotle and lime.) They also offer a delicious Sunday brunch with pizza and live music. Our favourite part of the hotel, the terracotta-coloured courtyard that looks straight out of Havana. Even if you don't stay here, definitely worth a visit for a drink.
- The W Hotel - Do you want to wake up in a crisp white bed and look out your bedroom windows with panoramic views over the Mediterranean Sea? Of course, you do. Located on the beachfront along the famous Barceloneta boardwalk, the W Hotel is a party and pamper experience. With a glamorous rooftop pool and lounge, a vibrant downstairs bar and a restaurant right on the beach, this is the ideal spot for a fun weekend away. Book a suite for the whole group or individual rooms - the company policy of whatever/whenever will make anyone feel like a queen for a weekend.
- Federal Café - An Australian café that provides delicious brunchy food. Think Bloody Mary's, freshly made pancakes, poached eggs, avocado on toast, as well as tomatoes and bruschetta, croissants, and great flat whites. This Melbourne style cafe is the perfect place to soak up the hangover. Veggie burgers and gluten-free option available too!
- Brunch & Cake - it's in the name. This family-owned and run heavenly brunch spot's slogan is 'In Grandmother's we trust' and we agree, especially when it comes to cooking. There are generous portions of colourful cakes, sweet treats, pink waffles and delicious doughnuts. As well as freshly made juices, eggs Benedict and variations of avocado on toast with toppings piled high. This is somewhere you will want to photograph very quickly as devouring it will be 1st priority.
- Flax & Kale - described as "the first Healthy Flexitarian Restaurant in Barcelona" this spot caters for vegans and vegetarians as well as food intolerances like gluten-free but also is perfect for those searching for delicious healthy food. With floral bunker seating and floor to the ceiling windows, this light and lovely restaurant is the ideal healthy brunch spot. We highly recommend the 'Healthy Ice Cream' and pretty much everything on the 'Breakfast Menu' a real favourite is the 'Açaí Bowl', and the 'GF Apple crumble'.
- Grand Hotel Central - searching for the perfect rooftop cocktail spot? The Grand Hotel Central is positioned fantastically with beautiful views of the city and a glorious swimming pool. Sit and sip while watching the sun go down over the city - we highly recommend the margaritas.
- Boca Chica - The gorgeous bar upstairs at one of our restaurant recommendations 'La Boca Grande'. Perfect for pre-dinner drinks or to end the evening with little night-cap. High ceilings, dim lighting, a bar display that has you wanting to try every cocktail on the menu. Take it from us - The Espresso Martinis are poured to perfection.
- Little Beach House - looking for a cute beach spot to watch the sun go down, drink cold rosé and eat yummy tapas? This is the spot. Located in Garraf, just a 30 min train ride from the city centre - this beautiful beach house is a unique spot. You can also stay here - the rooms aren't large but they have everything you need and the design is gorgeous, with balconies that overlook the sea. We love the fringed green sun umbrellas and candy stripe towels.
Tapas & Dinner
- Tapas - there are too many great places to name, but wandering around the city streets and dipping into local haunts to eat patatas bravas and crispy fried squid while drinking a cold glass of wine is heavenly. A couple of our favourites are Bar Cañete and Cal Pep. Tapas restaurant are harder for larger groups and often you can't book in advance so you may have to queue, however, we often find they're worth the wait.
- Cecconi's - Want to eat mouthwatering pizza while sat in a grand building under chandeliers? This large and beautiful restaurant is located in Soho House but open to non-members too and is a great spot for group bookings. Delicious Italian led food, cocktails and wine it's one of our favourites.
- La Boca Grande - this is a grand, beautiful building with the restaurant on the ground floor, Boco Chica bar on the 1st floor and must-see loos on the ground - the bathroom is covered in mirrors. More expensive than the other spots but definitely worth the treat. Delicious food and a seafood bar to die for. If you're looking for Champagne and tuna tartar, this is your spot. If you want to pop in for a drink, head upstairs, get comfy and drink the night away. You know where to go for brunch to cure your hangover!
If you're looking for a bit more help or advice on planning the perfect Hen Party, check out our 'Bespoke Bachelorette' page.